1. A Benmassaaoud, J Macias, A. Delamarre et al. Prognostic value of non-invasive scores based on liver stiffness measurement, spleen diameter and platelets in HIV-infected patients. Liver international. May 2023. doi/10.1111/liv.15605 (Article link)
2. Keeshan A., Coffin CS, Vachon A. et al. Ribavirin does not enhance hepatitis B virus nucleotide antiviral activity: a pilot study. Clin. Invest. Med. Dec. 2022; 45(4): E11-15. doi: 10.25011/cim.v45i4.39274. (Article link)
3. Coffin CS, Haylock-Jacobs S, Doucette K, et al. Clinical Outcomes and Quantitative HBV Surface Antigen Levels in Diverse Chronic Hepatitis B Patients in Canada: A Retrospective Real-World Study of CHB in Canada (REVEAL-CANADA). Viruses Nov. 2022; 14(12): 2668 (Article link). Downloaded 359 times
4. Sarowar A, Coffin C, Fung S, et al. Effect of antiretroviral switch from TDF to TAF, lipid profiles and renal function in HIV/HBV co-infected individuals in a nationwide Canadian study. JAIDS 2022. [DOI: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003079]. (Article link)
5. Ramji A, Doucette K, Cooper C, et al. Nationwide retrospective study of hepatitis B virological response and liver stiffness improvement in 465 patients on nucleos(t)ide analogue. World J Gastroenterol 2022; 28(31): 4390-4398 [DOI: 10.3748/wjg.v28.i31.4390] (Article link)
6. Osiowy C., Swidinsky K., Haylock-Jacobs S. et al., Molecular epidemiology and clinical characteristics of hepatitis D virus infection in Canada, JHEP Reports, 2022. (Article link)
This HDV study was featured in the "Science of Health" blog by Government of Canada: Hepatitis D research highlights need for increased screening - Science.gc.ca
7. Hin Hin Ko, Nishi H. Patel, Sarah Haylock-Jacobs, et al. Severe hepatic steatosis is associated with low level viremia and advanced fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B patients in North America, Gastro Hep Advances, 2021. (Article link)
8. Farag M, Fung S, Tam E, et. al., Effectiveness and Renal Safety of Tenofovir Alafenamide Fumarate among Chronic Hepatitis B Patients: Real-World Study, J Viral Hep, 2021; 28(6): 942-950. [FOI: 10.1111/JVH.13500]. (Article link)
9. Joshi S, Davis R, Ma M, et. al., Reduced immune responses to hepatitis B primary vaccination in obese individuals with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), NPJ Vaccines, vol. 9, no. 9, 2021. (Article link)
10. Cooper C, Dreidger M, Wong D, et. al., Distinct Hepatitis B and HIV co-infected populations in Canada, J Viral Hep, vol. 28 , no. 3, p 517-527. (Article link)
11. Coffin CS, Ramji A, Cooper CL, et. al., Epidemiologic and Clinical Features of Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection in 8 Canadian provinces: a Descriptive Study by The Canadian HBV Network, CMAJ Open, vol. 7, no. 4, p E610-E617. (Article link) (Commentary in CMAJ Print Edition, December 2019, page 28)
12. Yau, A, Galorport C, Coffin CS, Ko HH, Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening Practices in Chronic Hepatitis B among Canadian Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists: An Online Survey, Can Liv J, vol. 2, no. 4, p199-209. (Article link)
13. Coffin CS, Fung SK, Alvarez F, Cooper CL, et. al., Management of Hepatitis B Virus Infection: 2018 Guidelines from the Canadian Association for the Study of the Liver and Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada, Can Liv J, vol 1, no. 4, p 156-217. (Article link)
Currently active studies:
Burden of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) and Hepatitis Delta Virus (HDV) Coinfection in Canada: The Canadian HBV Network
A Study to Determine Benefits of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBsAg) Loss in a Multiethnic Cohort of Untreated and Treated Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection
Identification and Characterization of Barriers to Treatment in Hepatitis B Patients Followed by the Canadian Hepatitis B Network
Old (completed) studies:
Real-World Effectiveness and Renal Safety of Tenofovir Alafenamide Among Chronic Hepatitis B Patients in Canada
A Prospective Study of HBV Immunity and HBV Vaccination in Patients with NAFLD in Canada (clinicaltrials.gov)
Ribavirin to Enhance Hepatitis B Virus Nucleotide Analog Antiviral Activity (clinicaltrials.gov)
Determination of Clinical and Molecular Properties of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) in the Context of Concomitant Chronic Hepatitis B and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
Our primary interest is in advancing excellence in Hepatitis B patient care, research and education.
Current research is focused in three main areas:
1. HCC risk stratification using random survival machine learning model outperforms traditional analog scoring. Y. Sachar, E. Wang, C. Coffin et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2022.
2. Characteristics of untreated hepatitis B patients despite treatment eligibility according to expert guidelines followed by the Canadian Hepatitis B Network. Hin Hin Ko, Curtis Cooper, Anna Manko et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2022.
3. Association between quantitative Hepatitis B surface antigen levels (QHBsAg) and clinical outcomes of ethnically diverse Canadian chronic hepatitis B (CHB) patients: retrospective real world evidence study of CHB in Canada (REVEAL-CANADA). Carla S Coffin, Sarah Haylock-Jacobs, Karen Doucette et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2021.
4. Molecular and clinical epidemiology of hepatitis D virus infection in Canada. Carla Osiowy, Ken Swidinsky, Sarah Haylock-Jacobs et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2021 - Oral presentation.
5. Effect of antiretroviral switch from TDF to TAF on ALT, lipid profile and renal function in HIV/HBV-coinfected individuals in a nationwide Canadian study. Arif Sarowar, Carla S. Coffin, Scott Fung et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2021.
6. Non-invasive prediction of esophageal varices by transient elastography and platelet count in patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced chronic liver disease: validation of Baveno VI and expanded Baveno IV criteria. Amine Zoughlami, Jordana Serero, Stephen E Congly et. al. American Association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD), November 2021.
7. An Investigation of Novel Hepatitis B Virus Quantitative Serum Biomarkers in Hepatitis B-Hepatitis D Virus Co-Infected Patients Enrolled in the Canadian Hepatitis B Virus Network. Alicia Vachon, Ken Swidinsky, Jacqueline Day et. al. International Hepatitis Delta Meeting (HDIN), July 2021. The HDIN young investigator winner award was obtained by Alicia Vachon.
8. Cost-Effectiveness of Pegylated Interferon For Sustained Virological Response In Chronic Hepatitis B. Stephen Congly, Ahsan Syed, Sarah Haylock-Jacobs et.al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2021.
9. Systemic Cytokine Levels And T Cell Responses In Patients With Chronic Hepatitis B And Comorbid Non-Alcoholic
Fatty Liver Disease. Nishi H. Patel, Karen Doucette, Shivali Joshi et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2021.
10. Clinical and Virologic Characteristics and Hepatitis B Surface Antigen Levels in a Multi-Ethnic Cohort of Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B to Identify High-risk Patient Populations - REVEAL HBV Canada. Coffin CS, Haylock-Jacobs S, Doucette K, et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2021.
11. Epidemiologic, Clinical and Treatment Factors of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B: A descriptive study from the Canadian HBV Network. Talia J, Fung S, Wong DK, et. al. AASLD Liver Meeting, November 2020.
12. Increased Controlled Attenuated Parameter (CAP) is associated with Metabolic Syndrome and Higher Liver Stiffness measurement in Chronic Hepatitis B Patients with Hepatic Steatosis enrolled in the Canadian HBV Network. Ko HH, Sebastiani G, Haylock-Jacobs S, et. al. AASLD Liver Meeting, November 2019.
13. Tenofovir Alafenamide Fumarate is Effective and has Superior Renal Safety Mainly Among Stage 2 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD): Real-World Study from the Canadian Hepatitis B Network (CanHepB). Farag M, Fung S, Tam E, et. al. AASLD Liver Meeting, November 2019.
14. Molecular characterization of hepatitis B virus and antiviral immune responses in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Lucko A, Doucette K, Van Marle G, et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2019.
15. Controlled Attenuated Parameter (CAP) is Associated with Metabolic Syndrome and Severe Liver Disease in a Multiethnic Cohort of Chronic Hepatitis B Patients with Hepatic Steatosis. Ko HH, Sebastiani G, Haylock-Jacobs S, et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2019.
16. Impact of hepatic steatosis on biochemical and virologic response among multiethnic cohort of patients with Hepatitis B initiating antiviral therapy. Kelly E, Ramji A, Miles D, et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2019.
17. Comparison of Demographics, Virological Status and Liver Fibrosis Assessment in HBV/HDV Coinfected Patients followed in Specialist Hepatology / Infectious Disease Clinics in Canada and King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom. Sadler M, Carey I, Agarwal K, et. al. Canadian Liver Meeting, May 2019.
18. Real-World Effectiveness and Renal Safety of Tenofovir Alafenamide Fumarate among Chronic Hepatitis B patients in Canada. Farag M, Fung S, Tam E, et. al. EASL, April 2019.
19. Hepatitis B virus (HBV) B cell and T cell specific vaccine responses are reduced in high-risk obesity class patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and in a mice model of NAFLD compared to low-risk obesity patients and normal animals. Joshi SS, et. al. EASL, April 2019.
20. A Multisite Nationwide Descriptive Analysis of HIB-HIV Co-infection in Canada. Cooper CL, Wong D, Haylock-Jacobs S, Fung S, Barrett L, Conway B, Wong A, Ramji A, Doucette K, Coffin CS. AASLD Liver Meeting, November 2018.
21. Molecular Characterization of Hepatitis B Virus in Patients With Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Lucko A, Lau KCK, Joshi S, et. al. International HBV Meeting, October 2018.
22. Hepatitis D virus infection in Canada: molecular epidemiology and clinical association. Osiowy C, Swindinsky K, Haylock-Jacobs S, et. al. Global Hepatitis Summit, June 2018.
23. Hepatitis B Virus Therapy With Nucleos(t)ide Analogues Significantly Reduces Fibrosis In A ‘Real-World’ Canadian Cohort, Ramji A, Coffin CS, Ko HH, Wong A, Shaheen AA, Cooper C. Global Hepatitis Summit, June 2018.
24. Assessment of Baseline Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Immunity and Vaccine Responses in Prospectively Vaccinated Adults with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Coffin CS, Jenne C, Swain MG, et. al. EASL, April 2018.
25. Burden of Comorbidities in 2138 Chronic Hepatitis B Patients Followed in Diverse Specialist Care Clinics. Coffin CS, Shaheen AA, Bailey RJ, et. al. EASL, April 2018.
26. A Retrospective Nationwide Study on Hepatitis B Epidemiology and Genotypes; The Canadian Hepatitis B Network. Coffin CS, Ramji A, Cooper CL, et. al. AASLD, November 2017.
27. Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) Screening Practices in Chronic Hepatitis B (HBV) Among Canadian Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists: An Online Survey. Yau AHL, Galoport C, Coffin CS, Ko HH. CDDW, March 2017.
Canadian Guidelines for the Management of Hepatitis B (link)
Strategic plan for trans-NIH research to cure hepatitis B (link)
ICE-HBV - HBV Elimination 101 brochure (link)
WHO new guidelines to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HBV (link)
WHO report: Financing prevention, testing and treatment of hepatitis in the context of Universal Health Coverage (link)
First Canadian Viral Hepatits B Elimination Day - May 11 2022 in Ottawa: https://www.actionhepatitiscanada.ca/canhepday.html